Re: Indirect Graph Identification

[unofficial response]

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 09:20 -0500, James Leigh wrote:
> Has the group come to any agreement on this issue?
>
> From what I have seen, some think named graphs must be only be located
> at the graph authority, others think incomplete named graphs can be
> served from any services.

I might be missing some context, but I think the text on Indirect Graph
Identification in SPARQL 1.1 Graph Store HTTP Protocol is pretty clear
that SPARQL named graphs can be served from other servers...

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/http-rdf-update/#indirect-graph-identification

I'm not sure what you mean by "incomplete".   Perhaps you're thinking
about the case where TimBL publishes

http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card

and then some crawler fetches it and stores a copy under that name in
its graphstore.   As I understand it, that's fine, and the crawler is
welcome to republish it, using a URL like:

http://example.com/service?graph=http%3A//www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card

Whether it's a complete copy, or a copy at all, is totally up to the
people running example.com/service -- the specs don't care.

> Regardless, my point is that these same issues
> are the same weather we talk about resource descriptions or named
> graphs. Will the group consider addressing the broader issue of indirect
> resource URI requests?

At this point, we've gone to Last Call on everything but this GSHP
document, which I think we'll be done with very soon.  So, I don't think
we'll be addressing anything not already addressed in the documents,
unless we get public comments convincing us it's necessary to make our
the material we have function properly.

   -- Sandro