Re: comments on SPARQL Query Language for RDF

On May 31, 2007, at 2:07 PM, Bob MacGregor wrote:

> I think that the fundamental problem relates to the fact that the
> SPARQL language is already
> obsolete even before it has been finished.  This is because current
> RDF, and the graph-based notion
> that it promotes, is also obsolete.

Bob,

I think this is useful. It certainly clarifies a lot of what you've
been saying to DAWG over the months.

Assuming, for a minute, that everything you say about yr use cases
and requirements follows and is coherent, it simply means that the
query language you want is not the one DAWG was chartered to build.
Which may mean there needs to be a new WG or charter or whatever, but
it does *not* provide grounds for objecting to the language that's
been developed. Okay, it provides grounds for anyone who *shares* yr
use cases and requirements (and doesn't have others), but that's not
the majority of the WG, I'd wager.

It just sounds like Siderean needed or wanted something different
than DAWG was chartered to do, in which case there's not much anyone
can do about that at *this* point. But, of course, that doesn't moot
SPARQL's utility for those who *do* need RDF.

Consider an analogy: assume that for most of *my* use cases, XML is
obsolete. That could *never* be an objection against XQuery per se.

Cheers,
Kendall Clark