Re: comments on SPARQL Query Language for RDF

I think that the fundamental problem relates to the fact that the
SPARQL language is already
obsolete even before it has been finished.  This is because current
RDF, and the graph-based notion
that it promotes, is also obsolete.

If one is thinking in terms of quads (e.g., as in Sesame and some
major vendor products) then the notion of
blank nodes in context position makes perfect sense.  However, if you
confine your thinking to triples, as Pat has
done (correctly in the context of RDF/SPARQL), then I guess that
graph names may be necessary.

Why is RDF obsolete?  I can point to three serious drawbacks.  The
most immediate is that RDF does not provide
for a practical means for storing models containing large numbers of
graphs.  The most common way to serialize/store
RDF/XML is as a number of individual graphs, e.g., thousands of
graphs.  Much better would be an
N4 or NQuads syntax, or the addition of a ":context" attribute to RDF
(a sibling to the ":resource" attribute).
Right now, there is no acceptable standard (that I'm aware of) for
transmitting models containing large
numbers of graphs.

The second drawback is at this point more oblique.  Somewhat over a
year ago, we implemented a
quad compression scheme that not only saves significant space in the
presence of large numbers of
graphs, but also resulted in order of magnitude performance
improvement on models with a few million
quads.  Analysis showed that the performance differential was roughly
linear in the number of graphs (one graph
per document), so for larger applications, there would have been
several orders of magnitude difference
in performance.    We have now embedded the compression into the quad
store, i.e., we can't turn it off
anymore. The compression is lossless except that it does not preserve
graphs names (since we use
blank nodes for contexts/graphs, for us its not a loss).  While I
expect it may take a while for the compression
scheme to become widespread, performance always wins out.

The third drawback is the difference in mindset.  Once you have
quads, combined with aggressive
use of multiple dimensions of provenance, the notion of graphs
introduces a dissonance that makes it harder
to visualize what is going on.  Take the notion of the "default"
graph containing all of the triples from all of the
graphs.  If we attach security information to each graph (which we
often do), the the only time the "all triples" notion
makes sense is when you run at system high; for all normal cases,
queries only see a subset of the triples
belonging to the union of the graphs.  More preposterous is the FROM
NAMED construct.  This makes sense
only if you have a very small number of graphs, and if the names of
the graphs are actually meaningful (not
normally the case when you are seriously into provenance).

Richard Newman's suggestion of FROM NAMED * provides a solution,
except that the right syntax for that would
be to eliminate FROM NAMED entirely and assume the star holds by
default.  And we will use GRAPH ?cxt
to reference contexts, except that our  own product will permit blank
nodes to bind to the ?cxt argument.

Cheers, Bob

Bob MacGregor
Chief Scientist