[OK?] Re: SPARQL: Error handling

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 04:01:14AM +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Dan Connolly wrote:
> >>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-sparql-query-20050721/ seems
> >> to be quite unclear about error handling. There is some discussion
> >> about handling type errors in 11.2 but that refers to XQuery for
> >> the definition of type errors and otherwise just says when they
> >> occur, not what implementations must do when they encounter them.
> >>
> >> For syntax errors (i.e., queries that do not match the production
> >> rules) no error handling seems to be defined either.
> >
> >Strings that do not match the production rules are not part
> >of the SPARQL query language; why would you expect the specification
> >to say anything about them?
>
> I expect the specification to define conformance requirements for
> implementations and SPARQL implementations will have to deal with
> illegal input. This is not uncommon in fact, XML 1.0 for example
> defines this in detail. I am not sure why it would be useful to
> allow SPARQL implementations to handle illegal input in different
> ways but if that is intended, it should be very clear from the
> draft.

Do you feel that resolving the "W3C QA Guidelines conformance" thread
will resolve this thread? If so, I'd like to [CLOSED] this thread.
[[
B Conformance

See appendix A grammar regarding conformance of _SPARQL Query
strings_, and section 10 Query Result Forms for conformance of query
results. See appendix E. Internet Media Type for conformance to the
application/sparql-query media type.

This specification is intended for use in conjuction with the SPARQL
Protocol [SPROT] and the SPARQL Query Results XML Format
[RESULTS]. See those specifications for their conformance criteria.

Note that the SPARQL protocol describes an abstract interface as well
as a network protocol, and the abstract interface may apply to APIs as
well as network interfaces.
]]
--
-eric