Re: Refers Or Denotes?

On 13 Feb 2013, at 17:52, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 2/13/13 8:23 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>> I have updated section 4 of our spec to use the language, and to show the synonymy relation between
>> denotes and refers, which seems to be accepted practice in the philosphy literature. The illustration here shows this clearly now:
>>
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html#overview
> For sake of uniformity, would it be possible for you to add "(perception)" below "sense" in your illustration at: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/img/WebID-overview.png ? .
>
> Reasoning: to illustrate how data can be perceived through information (aka. data in perceptible context) .

sense/perception would rather make people think of the senses: sight, touch, hearing, etc... This would require bringing in an agent in the picture whose senses we are speaking of. That would be a wholly different topic.

In the philosophy/logic literature from Frege onwards sense is what determines the meaning of a name. So if one wanted symmetry one could have "sense (meaning)" I think. The general intuition is that the meaning of a name is what determines its reference.  A bit like a dictionary helps you get the meaning of a term you don't know.

Henry

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/