Re: Use of XSD namespace in RDF recommendations

Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2012, at 14:21, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>
>> Note: the Web Ontology Language [OWL2] offers facilities
>> for defining custom datatypes and can be serialised as an
>> RDF graph. This makes possible to embed datatype
>> definitions in an RDF document. However, processing
>> custom datatypes defined this way requires an OWL 2
>> engine. For more details, see Section 9.4 of [OWL2].
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Datatype_Definitions
>
> Thanks, not too bad! Here's a slight rewording, does this still sound ok?
>
> [[ Note: The Web Ontology Language [OWL2] offers
> [facilities for formally defining custom
> datatypes](http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Datatype_Definitions)
> that can be used with RDF. However, RDF implementations
> are not required to support these facilities. ]]

I notice neither wording links to 'XML Schema Datatypes in
RDF and OWL' <http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/>.
Is that because this document is now considered obsolete?

It seems to me that the SWBP note and the OWL2 datatype
definition facilities address different somewhat problems,
so linking to both would be useful.  If you want to use
a third-party XML Schema type and don't want to duplicate
the definition yourself in OWL2, the techniques in the SWBP
note are relevant.  Similarly if you want to define a type
that's usable in both XML Schema and RDF and don't want to
maintain two copies of the declaration.

(I dare say at some point someone will write a GRDDL
transformation for extracting OWL2 datatype declarations
from XML Schema, and link that from the XML Schema namespace
document [i.e. the XML Schema for XML Schema], much as the
GRDDL transformation for extracting RDFa from XHTML has been
linked from XHTML namespace document.  That would
automatically make OWL2 type definitions available for any
simpleType in any XML Schema, and seems to fit quite nicely
with how things are done elsewhere.)

Richard