Re: temporal nature of T-box (and A-box), and why bNodes should rarely (if ever!) be used

Ted,

On Mar 8, 2011, at 16:20 , Ted Thibodeau Jr wrote:

[snip]

> But these connections *cannot* be drawn when entirely ephemeral
> bNodes are used for those Entities, or Attributes, etc.  UUID-based
> dereferenceable URIs are fine for such purposes as bNodes have often
> been used -- because UUIDs are persistent over time, and each UUDI
> can be forced to only ever refer to a single entity.  bNodes cannot
> have such restrictions placed on them ... and therein lies their doom.

I understand all that you say (and that I have cut:-) but I need a clarification for the UUID issue here. What would exactly be your URI (ie, UUID) minting algorithm here? If I do a 'run' on the database to generate a Direct Graph, I generate some sort of a URI for the row but, unless that generation of that URI is a function of the columns names or something similar, the next 'run' will produce _another_ UUID URI. So yes, a single UUID URI is persistent over time, but two independent runs on the same database, ie, two snapshots of the changes that you refer to, will produce two distinct URI-s that nothing binds to one another. Aren't we back to square one? Or maybe I miss something here.

Ivan

> I hope this starts to clarify what I've been talking about in our
> concalls.  But please feel free to ask for more, or raise objections
> to anything you don't agree with.  Discussion is usually helpful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ted
>

> --
> A: Yes.                      http://www.guckes.net/faq/attribution.html
> | Q: Are you sure?
> | | A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>
> Ted Thibodeau, Jr.           //               voice +1-781-273-0900 x32
> Evangelism & Support         //        mailto:tthibodeau@openlinksw.com
>                            //              http://twitter.com/TallTed
> OpenLink Software, Inc.      //              http://www.openlinksw.com/
>       10 Burlington Mall Road, Suite 265, Burlington MA 01803
>                                http://www.openlinksw.com/weblogs/uda/
> OpenLink Blogs              http://www.openlinksw.com/weblogs/virtuoso/
>                              http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/
>   Universal Data Access and Virtual Database Technology Providers

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153