Re: What is Oracle's objection to the use of Turtle as R2RML syntax?

On 12/14/11 11:43 AM, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>>> I'm sorry if I insist here. Even if this is not crucial to the main discussion, I can't let this pass.
>>> "My point is this OWL has had a bad wrap due to folks not separating Syntax from Model"
>>> &
>>> "That's because RDF/XML obscured the pathway to comprehending its purpose"
>>> are unproven statements, but just your personal opinion.
>> Please don't let it pass.
>> Where is the evidence of mass OWL appreciation and uptake with regards to Linked Data, for instance.
> I don't care. I'm not discussing that.
>
>> Are you seriously trying to claim that OWL is appreciated and used en masse?
> I don't care. I'm not discussing that.
>
>> SPARQL, DBpedia, and the ever expanding LOD Cloud are live examples technology adoptions from the Semantic Web project. Where is OWL? Most ironic of all, data quality and integration dexterity are continuously seen as shortcoming of the aforementioned, the very thing OWL does very well. Why isn't that the norm today?
> I don't care. I'm not discussing that.
>
>> RDF/XML has always obscured pathways to the basic triple (3-tuple) and it doing so has inserted artificial inertia into this entire journey. We don't need to repeat these mistakes all over again.
> I do care about this statement of yours.
> I don't see from you any evidence that the OWL alleged 'failure' is "due to syntax level issues".

OWL isn't a failure. My point is about OWL uptake and appreciation.

> I don't see why the alleged lack of appreciation of OWL by the masses is due to the fact that "RDF/XML has always obscured pathways to the triples" (whatever this means).

That's because you find RDF/XML convenient. Unfortunately, you don't
reflect the majority.

> I do believe that the cause of the non widespread adoption of OWL is *not* because of the multiplicity of syntaxes.

Syntax multiplicity isn't the defining issue re. OWL. A specific syntax
is, and that's RDF/XML. And if you are interested in history you'll
notice RDF/XML has had the same effect on other aspects of the Semantic
Web Project. Basically, every time its moved away from the "front door"
appreciation, comprehension, and momentum follows.

> The above statements remain just your unsubstantiated opinions of yours.

Same applies to you. We are both entitled to our subjective opinions :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO