Re: Draft of Use Case document on Wiki (as promised)

* Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com> [2010-04-19 10:48-0500]
> Michael
>
> I just updated [1] again. I moved the section Expressivity, written by Eric
> to [2] . In the spreadsheet, we have the following taxonomy per
> Expressivity:
>

>    1. Expressivity
>       - Node Label Generation: Graph node names are synthesized from a
>       function of database attributes
>       - Datatype expressions
>          - Simple
>          - Relational data (cells) are mapped to rdf datatypes per SQL XSD
>          mapping.
>          - Micorparsing: Relational data are parsed and mapped to rdf
>          graphs.
>

> But now that we dig into it I think it is redundant with what is already in
> [1] . In particular,
>
> “b Node Label Generation” appears to be the same as the role of the ontology
> being putative,

I don't see the connection. If I am exporting a human resources
database in say FOAF and vcal, I am likely to generate resources based
on some function of attribute names:
  http://myco.example/Employee?id=218 foaf:givenName "Bob" .
Likewise, if I accept sort of a default ontology from the database
structure, I may want to do the same:
  http://myco.example/Employee?id=218 Employee:fname "Bob" .

The mapping language could be much simpler if it did not handle graph
transformations (simple mapping of attributes to predicates), but I
know that several use cases are not met by that.

> “c Data type expression” and its three cases appear to be the same as
> classifying the treatment of relational data sources at the start of the
> document

Sorry, I'm not following this. Could you give examples of the
redundancy?

> • We have updated that section to include Eric’s requirement that
> microparsing produce an RDF graph.

Do we have use cases supporting that? I merely meant to point out that
it was an option, but I don't think anyone has asked for it yet.

--
-ericP