Re: Draft of Use Case document on Wiki (as promised)

On Apr 19, 2010, at 12:21 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> * Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com> [2010-04-19 10:48-0500]
>> Michael
>>
>> I just updated [1] again. I moved the section Expressivity,
>> written by Eric
>> to [2] . In the spreadsheet, we have the following taxonomy per
>> Expressivity:
>>

>>    1. Expressivity
>>       - Node Label Generation: Graph node names are synthesized
>> from a
>>       function of database attributes
>>       - Datatype expressions
>>          - Simple
>>          - Relational data (cells) are mapped to rdf datatypes per
>> SQL XSD
>>          mapping.
>>          - Micorparsing: Relational data are parsed and mapped to rdf
>>          graphs.
>>

>> But now that we dig into it I think it is redundant with what is
>> already in
>> [1] . In particular,
>>
>> “b Node Label Generation” appears to be the same as the role of
>> the ontology
>> being putative,
>
> I don't see the connection. If I am exporting a human resources
> database in say FOAF and vcal, I am likely to generate resources based
> on some function of attribute names:
>   http://myco.example/Employee?id=218 foaf:givenName "Bob" .
> Likewise, if I accept sort of a default ontology from the database
> structure, I may want to do the same:
>   http://myco.example/Employee?id=218 Employee:fname "Bob" .
>
> The mapping language could be much simpler if it did not handle graph
> transformations (simple mapping of attributes to predicates), but I
> know that several use cases are not met by that.

I just looked up the (or at least a) FOAF Spec.

http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
"This document is created by combining the RDFS/OWL machine-readable
FOAF ontology"

So if you are exporting a data to FOAF then per the taxonomy you are
mapping relational data wrt an existing domain ontology.

I won't be surprised if there is confusion/ambiguity about this.
Recall when I first emerged with the taxonomy I qualified that I was
more interested in making
sure we mean the same thing we are talking with each other than any
proprietary interest I have in the taxonomy.

>> “c Data type expression” and its three cases appear to be the same as
>> classifying the treatment of relational data sources at the start
>> of the
>> document
>
> Sorry, I'm not following this. Could you give examples of the
> redundancy?

I have written

                      i.     Structured

Consider only highly structured database content. String and other
text fields are not considered valuable.

                        ii.     Structured + Semistructured

Text fields are considered valued but are treated simply as unparsed
strings.

                         iii.     Structured + Microparsed Tagged Text

Text fields in the database are parsed into an RDF graph per an
existing ontology.

You have written

> Datatype expressions
>          - Simple
>          - Relational data (cells) are mapped to rdf datatypes per
> SQL XSD
>          mapping.
>          - Micorparsing: Relational data are parsed and mapped to rdf
>          graphs.

We may need to hash out/refine the subcategories and their titles,
but, at the level of detail we are at this time I'm thinking

Simple == Structured
Realational Data... per SQL XSD Mapping ==  Structured + Semistructured
Microparsing == Structured + Microparsed Tagged Data

Possibly a difference in our thinking is that you may be looking at
row content as a row in a CSV file, divorced from
the column names and SQL data types;  thus the entire content of the
row depends on parsing.

This is why, in part, my category names are Structured + something.

I'm also wondering if your designations of expressivity belong in the
requirement section on the language.
Note I've broken up the requirements into two parts, 1)  those
mechanical requrements on the language, e.g. its connections to RIF,
and requriements on syntactic convention, In other words requirements
of languages that come from the Semantic Web community
2) The requirements that come from the applications/end users.

>> • We have updated that section to include Eric’s requirement that
>> microparsing produce an RDF graph.
>
> Do we have use cases supporting that? I merely meant to point out that
> it was an option, but I don't think anyone has asked for it yet.

No we don't have any use cases.  However, an entire half of my
application facing life
is with systematic biologists.  They have so many databases of tables
of 4 or 5 columns of structured
data, with another 3 or 4 columns of text field, it is painful.  Even
something like the geographic
location where a specimen was collected will usually be in a text
field that could contain anything
from a lat/long to "50 feet in front of Tom Miller Dam in Austin",
and everything in between.

>>> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/