W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdb2rdf-wg@w3.org > October 2009

Re: RDB2RDF Telcon time

From: <hhalpin@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:26:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: ashok malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
cc: public-rdb2rdf-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.64.0910190809450.9567@homer.w3.org>
If people want, I can set-up a Web-based questionnaire to see if we want 
to change the time.

The other option that Ahmed (Ahmed, correct me if I'm wrong here) seemed 
to think would work for him would be an hour later, i.e. would 4:00 GMT 
work for Juan/Ashok/Ahmed?

And does 4:00 GMT not work for anyone?

Note that it in general takes a few days for Zakim to switch conference so 
we will probably have to do this week's call at 3:00 GMT.

 	cheers,
 		-harry


On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, ashok malhotra wrote:

> I'm sorry I missed the first WG telcon!
> There seems to have been some discussion re. the time for the weekly telcon.
> Like Juan Sequeda, I have a conflict at the Thursday time,  Would it be 
> possible to
> move the telcon to Fridays, perhaps at 11AM Eastern, the time slot we used 
> for the XG calls?
> All the best, Ashok
>
>
> hhalpin@w3.org wrote:
>> 
>> The first meeting is always the most difficult due to everyone getting used 
>> to things, but here are our minutes! Will link  to from homepage once 
>> approved after next meeting.
>> 
>> HTML:
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html
>>
>>        RDB2RDF Working Group Teleconference
>> 
>> 15 Oct 2009
>>
>>    [2]Agenda
>>
>>       [2] 
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Oct/0002.html
>>
>>    See also: [3]IRC log
>>
>>       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-irc
>> 
>> Attendees
>>
>>    Present: (possibly incomplete) orri, seema, souri, rcygnaik, lima,
>>           marcelo, Joseph_Scheuhammer, hhalpin, mhausenblas, angelo,
>>           nuno, jsequeda, Ahmed, whalb, howard, iv_an_ru, soeren
>>
>>    Chair
>>           Ahmed
>>
>>    Scribe
>>           hhalpin
>> 
>> Contents
>>
>>      * [4]Topics
>>          1. [5]"Introduction"
>>          2. [6]"Schedule"
>>          3. [7]"Future Meetings"
>>      * [8]Summary of Action Items
>>      _________________________________________________________
>> 
>> Introduction
>>
>>    Introduction round
>>
>>    soeren: linked data background, Triplify, one of the DBpedia
>>    founders
>>
>>    cygri: DERI, main developer of D2RQ, interested in linked data,
>>    information integration
>>
>>    Souri and Seema: we are interested in RDB2RDF here at Oracle as we
>>    have a lot of relational data as you can guess
>>
>>    Orri: from OpenLink, long time doing DB federation, etc., main
>>    contributor to linked data community
>>
>>    <hhalpin> scribe: hhalpin
>>
>>    Orri is presenting next week
>>
>>    From OpenLink
>>
>>    Ahmed: from HP
>>    ... interests in integration
>>    ... works in RDF
>>
>>    Angelo: new to this group
>>    ... postdoc at OKKAM project
>>    ... co-ordinating all the work for use-cases, interest in entity
>>    identifiers for linked data
>>    ... automatically extraxting entities from relational data
>>    ... automatically identify these entities.
>>    ... background in multimedia IR
>>
>>    Howard: from Metamotix
>>    ... been in semantic technology world for 8-9 years
>>    ... developed middleware integration platform.
>>    ... integrating structured and semi-structured data
>>
>>    Howard is presenting in early november.
>>
>>    Wolfgang: Working in Austria
>>    ... has but Eurostat as Linked Data
>>    ... did work in XG
>>
>>    Harry: W3C Fellow from Uni. of Edinburgh
>>    ... will be helping with contacts
>>    ... co-chairing with Ahmed.
>>    ... participated in XG
>>
>>    <mhausenblas>
>>    [9]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Oct/000
>>    9.html
>>
>>       [9] 
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Oct/0009.html
>>
>>    Nuno: Working in DERI
>>    ... hetereogenous sources, working on XSPARQL
>>    ... extending XQuery.
>>
>>    Ashok is on vacation.
>>
>>    Ivan: dialing in...
>>
>>    Juan: a Uni. Ph.D. student at University of Austin
>>    ... was part of XG
>>    ... creating Ultrawrap, RDB2RDF system
>>    ... takes advantage of existing infrastructure
>>    ... want to learn mappings
>>    ... uses data-mining, linked data for bioinformatics by end of year
>>
>>    Michael: Informal meeting at ISWC
>>    ... First face-to-face officially will be later
>>
>>    Juan: I'll be at ISWC.
>>
>>    Seema: From Oracle
>>    ... located in new hampshire
>>    ... working in semantic group
>>
>>    Marcelo: ... Marcelo Arenas, from catholic university of chile
>>    ... most in database theory
>>    ... we have a group that works in RDF
>>    ... have done semantics for SPARQL, adding navigation, dealing with
>>    RDFS and OWL
>>    ... we want to work on this problem.
>>
>>    <scribe> ACTION: hhalpin to re-send Marcelo invited expert form
>>    [recorded in
>>    [10]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action01]
>>
>>    <trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Re-send Marcelo invited expert form
>>    [on Harry Halpin - due 2009-10-22].
>>
>>    Li Ma: formerly of IBM, will be joining the group as Invited Expert.
>>
>>    scribe: participated in XG.
>>    ... worked for more 5 years
>>    ... was at IBM, now working on integrating databases
>>    ... have a paper at this year ISWC that describes our mapping
>>    approach
>> 
>> Schedule
>>
>>    Ahmed: spend a month and a half doing fact-finding on implementation
>>    work.
>>    ... next week is OpenLink and Orri
>>    ... will have anyone to post the links
>>
>>    <mhausenblas> see
>>    [11]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Initial_Round_of_Presenta
>>    tions
>>
>>      [11] 
>> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Initial_Round_of_Presentations
>>
>>    Ahmed: just send them to harry to post
>>    ... a week if not more the presentation
>>    ... we also have D2R, Metamotix on the queue.
>>    ... we can still fit them in.
>>    ... send them in.
>>    ... give a paragraph of what group has done
>>
>>    <metatomix> Also joined this group is Samir Batla. Batla has been
>>    leveraging ST for about 8-9 years in a solutions architect role -
>>    having been with Cerebra, Inc, Siderean Software and now Metatomix.
>>
>>    Ahmed: sometime in Nov we will be done with that piece
>>    ... we need to pin down some of our goals.
>>    ... listed some of these in the announcment
>>    ... six items:
>>    ... we hope to have this by march
>>
>>    Michael: let's have discussions on the mailing list
>>
>>    <mhausenblas> ... and use the Wiki to collect it
>>
>>    Michael: wiki is easier than mailing list
>>    ... for keeping track of some things.
>>
>>    Ahmed: How about things we end up not pursuing?
>>
>>    Michael: We will do a use-case and requirements.
>>
>>    Ahmed: any proposals for improving?
>>
>>    Michael: flag certain features
>>    ... to prioritize
>>
>>    <scribe> ACTION: mhausenb to add material to the Wiki [recorded in
>>    [12]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action03]
>>
>>    <trackbot> Created ACTION-6 - Add material to the Wiki [on Michael
>>    Hausenblas - due 2009-10-22].
>>
>>    Juan: I'd like to present
>>
>>    don't worry, I can fix things!
>> 
>> Future Meetings
>>
>>    Juan: Do we want future meetings at this time?
>>    ... doesn't work for me too well.
>>
>>    Ahmed: Hard to make everyone happy
>>    ... Juan, can you switch schedules?
>>
>>    Juan: I can lose this time.
>>
>>    Ahmed: I hope we can keep this time.
>>
>>    <scribe> ACTION: hhalpin to send email out to europeans explaining
>>    daylight savings time. [recorded in
>>    [13]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action04]
>>
>>    <trackbot> Created ACTION-7 - Send email out to europeans explaining
>>    daylight savings time. [on Harry Halpin - due 2009-10-22].
>>
>>    Ahmed: let's send e-mails out about the time
>>
>>    Michael: do we want to say each other's names?
>>
>>    Ahmed: try to use first name
>>    ... I think we are done.
>>    ... Orri is next week!
>>    ... thanks everyone, triplify and D2RQ are afterwards.
>>    ... minutes will be made available.
>>    ... next meeting we will send tomorrow.
>>    ... Next time, to log into IRC beforehand.
>>    ... will start precisely 5 minutes later.
>>
>>    bye!
>>
>>    Meeting Adjourned
>>
>>    <marcelo> I lost the phone connection
>>
>>    trackbot, end meeting
>> 
>> Summary of Action Items
>>
>>    [NEW] ACTION: hhalpin to re-send Marcelo invited expert form
>>    [recorded in
>>    [14]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action01]
>>    [NEW] ACTION: hhalpin to send email out to europeans explaining
>>    daylight savings time. [recorded in
>>    [15]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action04]
>>    [NEW] ACTION: mhausenb to add material to the Wiki [recorded in
>>    [16]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action03]
>>
>>    [End of minutes]
>> 
>
Received on Monday, 19 October 2009 12:26:03 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:00:18 UTC