W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdb2rdf-wg@w3.org > October 2009

RDB2RDF Meeting Minutes: Thursday Oct 15th 2009

From: <hhalpin@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:45:12 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-rdb2rdf-wg@w3.org
Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.64.0910151444510.14581@homer.w3.org>

The first meeting is always the most difficult due to everyone getting used to 
things, but here are our minutes! Will link  to from homepage once approved 
after next meeting.

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html

        RDB2RDF Working Group Teleconference

15 Oct 2009

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Oct/0002.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-irc

Attendees

    Present: (possibly incomplete) orri, seema, souri, rcygnaik, lima,
           marcelo, Joseph_Scheuhammer, hhalpin, mhausenblas, angelo,
           nuno, jsequeda, Ahmed, whalb, howard, iv_an_ru, soeren

    Chair
           Ahmed

    Scribe
           hhalpin

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]"Introduction"
          2. [6]"Schedule"
          3. [7]"Future Meetings"
      * [8]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

Introduction

    Introduction round

    soeren: linked data background, Triplify, one of the DBpedia
    founders

    cygri: DERI, main developer of D2RQ, interested in linked data,
    information integration

    Souri and Seema: we are interested in RDB2RDF here at Oracle as we
    have a lot of relational data as you can guess

    Orri: from OpenLink, long time doing DB federation, etc., main
    contributor to linked data community

    <hhalpin> scribe: hhalpin

    Orri is presenting next week

    From OpenLink

    Ahmed: from HP
    ... interests in integration
    ... works in RDF

    Angelo: new to this group
    ... postdoc at OKKAM project
    ... co-ordinating all the work for use-cases, interest in entity
    identifiers for linked data
    ... automatically extraxting entities from relational data
    ... automatically identify these entities.
    ... background in multimedia IR

    Howard: from Metamotix
    ... been in semantic technology world for 8-9 years
    ... developed middleware integration platform.
    ... integrating structured and semi-structured data

    Howard is presenting in early november.

    Wolfgang: Working in Austria
    ... has but Eurostat as Linked Data
    ... did work in XG

    Harry: W3C Fellow from Uni. of Edinburgh
    ... will be helping with contacts
    ... co-chairing with Ahmed.
    ... participated in XG

    <mhausenblas>
    [9]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Oct/000
    9.html

       [9] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Oct/0009.html

    Nuno: Working in DERI
    ... hetereogenous sources, working on XSPARQL
    ... extending XQuery.

    Ashok is on vacation.

    Ivan: dialing in...

    Juan: a Uni. Ph.D. student at University of Austin
    ... was part of XG
    ... creating Ultrawrap, RDB2RDF system
    ... takes advantage of existing infrastructure
    ... want to learn mappings
    ... uses data-mining, linked data for bioinformatics by end of year

    Michael: Informal meeting at ISWC
    ... First face-to-face officially will be later

    Juan: I'll be at ISWC.

    Seema: From Oracle
    ... located in new hampshire
    ... working in semantic group

    Marcelo: ... Marcelo Arenas, from catholic university of chile
    ... most in database theory
    ... we have a group that works in RDF
    ... have done semantics for SPARQL, adding navigation, dealing with
    RDFS and OWL
    ... we want to work on this problem.

    <scribe> ACTION: hhalpin to re-send Marcelo invited expert form
    [recorded in
    [10]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Re-send Marcelo invited expert form
    [on Harry Halpin - due 2009-10-22].

    Li Ma: formerly of IBM, will be joining the group as Invited Expert.

    scribe: participated in XG.
    ... worked for more 5 years
    ... was at IBM, now working on integrating databases
    ... have a paper at this year ISWC that describes our mapping
    approach

Schedule

    Ahmed: spend a month and a half doing fact-finding on implementation
    work.
    ... next week is OpenLink and Orri
    ... will have anyone to post the links

    <mhausenblas> see
    [11]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Initial_Round_of_Presenta
    tions

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Initial_Round_of_Presentations

    Ahmed: just send them to harry to post
    ... a week if not more the presentation
    ... we also have D2R, Metamotix on the queue.
    ... we can still fit them in.
    ... send them in.
    ... give a paragraph of what group has done

    <metatomix> Also joined this group is Samir Batla. Batla has been
    leveraging ST for about 8-9 years in a solutions architect role -
    having been with Cerebra, Inc, Siderean Software and now Metatomix.

    Ahmed: sometime in Nov we will be done with that piece
    ... we need to pin down some of our goals.
    ... listed some of these in the announcment
    ... six items:
    ... we hope to have this by march

    Michael: let's have discussions on the mailing list

    <mhausenblas> ... and use the Wiki to collect it

    Michael: wiki is easier than mailing list
    ... for keeping track of some things.

    Ahmed: How about things we end up not pursuing?

    Michael: We will do a use-case and requirements.

    Ahmed: any proposals for improving?

    Michael: flag certain features
    ... to prioritize

    <scribe> ACTION: mhausenb to add material to the Wiki [recorded in
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-6 - Add material to the Wiki [on Michael
    Hausenblas - due 2009-10-22].

    Juan: I'd like to present

    don't worry, I can fix things!

Future Meetings

    Juan: Do we want future meetings at this time?
    ... doesn't work for me too well.

    Ahmed: Hard to make everyone happy
    ... Juan, can you switch schedules?

    Juan: I can lose this time.

    Ahmed: I hope we can keep this time.

    <scribe> ACTION: hhalpin to send email out to europeans explaining
    daylight savings time. [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-7 - Send email out to europeans explaining
    daylight savings time. [on Harry Halpin - due 2009-10-22].

    Ahmed: let's send e-mails out about the time

    Michael: do we want to say each other's names?

    Ahmed: try to use first name
    ... I think we are done.
    ... Orri is next week!
    ... thanks everyone, triplify and D2RQ are afterwards.
    ... minutes will be made available.
    ... next meeting we will send tomorrow.
    ... Next time, to log into IRC beforehand.
    ... will start precisely 5 minutes later.

    bye!

    Meeting Adjourned

    <marcelo> I lost the phone connection

    trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: hhalpin to re-send Marcelo invited expert form
    [recorded in
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: hhalpin to send email out to europeans explaining
    daylight savings time. [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: mhausenb to add material to the Wiki [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/15-RDB2RDF-minutes.html#action03]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 15 October 2009 18:45:14 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:00:18 UTC