From: public-rdb2rdf-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-rdb2rdf-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of hhalpin@w3.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:30 AM
To: public-rdb2rdf-wg@w3.org
Subject: Introduction: Harry Halpin

While I realize many of you many know each other from the previous RDB2RDF
Incubator Group, I think doing a round of "introductions" before our first
teleconference would be a great idea. So feel free to follow me!

I'm Harry Halpin, the W3C Staff Contact for this Working Group [1]. My
role will basically to assist the group in getting the standard through W3C
process on schedule. I'm more than happy to answer questions about the
W3C, W3C Process, and our technology (such as the ever friendly Zakim),
and will also help liason with the W3C in general for this group,
including publicity, co-ordination with the rest of the W3C, and outreach.
However, my job has been made a lot easier due the high calibre chairs of
the group! Overall, I'm an advocate of Linked Data and think this
technology could fulfill a crucial role in bringing the power of
relational databases to the Web.

Before joining the W3C as a Fellow (sponsored by Eduserv and the
University of Edinburgh), I received my Ph.D. in Informatics from the
University of Edinburgh. However, I'm originally from America, as you'll
notice on the phone. My academic specialities were in machine-learning,
information retrieval, and knowledge representation (SemWeb) - and am
mostly known academically for studying collaborative taggging as a complex
system. However, I used to be a tutor for Peter Buneman at the University
of Edinburgh, and thus have a long-standing interest in relational
databases. I was also chair of the GRDDL WG (W3C record for shortest time
to full Recommendation), and co-chair the Social Web Incubator Group.

I'll be either "harry" or "hhalpin" in #rdb2rdf on W3C IRC,
hhalpin@jabber.org, and my contact details are on my homepage[1], and am
also  available on Skype, Facebook, and the like. Whenever I am in IRC
feel free to ping me.

Can't wait to meet you all - at least over IRC and phone :)

                cheers,
                        harry

[1] http://www.w3.org/People/all#harry
[2] http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/