RE: [F&O] Casting to xs:NOTATION, xs:QName not clarified

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:11:11 -0000
To: "'Laurens Holst'" <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, <public-qt-comments@w3.org>

> That aside, a quick question... I have been looking at the spec for a
> little while to find a way to resolve an xs:string,
> containing an XPath
> query, to a nodeset... Does anyone know how to achieve that? :)

Dynamic XPath evaluation isn't offered in either XSLT or XQuery.

Many XSLT processors and some XQuery processors offer an extension for this:
see dyn:evaluate() in the EXSLT library (www.exslt.org)

The complications are primarily to do with establishing a static and dynamic
context for the evaluation. Saxon has two variants of the function, one
designed for dynamically-constructed expressions, one designed for
expressions read from a source XML document: the context rules for the two
cases are different.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/