[Serial] Re: [xsl] Preserving character entities

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:32:55 -0500
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
CC: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com

David Carlisle wrote:

> except that currently saxon mplements the last draft which said that if
> you specify an encoding and then specify you don't want the
> xml-declaration that you get the declaration anyway (as in XSLT 1)
>
> the new draft (following at least in part from a public comment from
> me) says that xslt should do what you ask and not give you an xml
> declaration in this case.
>
> Any XML parser would then be required to correctly default this to
> utf-8.

I would like to make a formal comment that this is wrong. The serializer
should not output a malformed document. Currently, the spec says:

A serialization error results if the omit-xml-declaration parameter has
the value yes, and

     * the standalone attribute has a value other than none; or
     * the version parameter has a value other than 1.0 and the
doctype-system parameter is specified.

The serializer MUST signal the error.

I suggest a third bullet point be added along these lines:

    * the encoding attribute has a value other than "utf-8" or utf-16"

I do not see why encoding should be singled out here from standalone and
  version. It makes more sense to simply signal an error on any
impossible case.