Re: [Serial] I18N WG last call comments

Hello Henry,

Many thanks for your replies to our comments.
The I18N WG (Core TF) has looked at your reply below.

We are sorry, but we have to clearly disagree.
We think that producing junk is never a good idea.
See below for further discussion.

At 11:17 04/04/13 -0400, Henry Zongaro wrote:

>Hello,
>
>      In [1], Martin Duerst submitted the following comment on the Last
>Call Working Draft of XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 Serialization on behalf of
>the I18N Working Group.
>
> > [20] 6.4 HTML Output Method: Writing Character Data: "Certain
>characters,
> >    specifically the control characters #x7F-#x9F, are legal in XML but
> >    not in HTML. ... The processor may signal the error, but is not
> >    required to do so.": Please change this to require the processor
> >    to produce an error.
>
>      In [2], Michael Kay responded:
>
> > I worry that we will get many complaints from users who are misusing
> > these codepoints if we do this.

How are they misusing these code points? The case we know is that
bytes in the rage 0x80-0x9F are used e.g. in iso-8859-1 but with
the intent of giving them the windows-1252 semantics. If somebody
is reading in windows-1252 documents, then it's simple to just
declare them that way. Also, if somebody wants windows-1252 as
output, they can just say so using XSLT. Neither reading windows-1252
nor writing out windows-1252 is in any way a misuse of XML, HTML,
or XSLT. HTML allows using the *bytes* 0x80-0x9F if in the encoding
used, they are encoding *characters* that are allowed by HTML.

If it is some other misuse that you are speaking about, please
inform us about the details.

> > Their code will stop working,

In some way just a detail, but: There is currently no XSLT 2.0
code that will stop working. XSTL 1.0 doesn't have the XHTML
output method.

With kind regards,    Martin.