Re: questionable syntax choices

From: Daniela Florescu <danielaf@bea.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 21:58:09 -0700
Cc: XQuery Public Comments <public-qt-comments@w3.org>, "'Jonathan Robie'" <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>, Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>, "'Volkmann, Mark'" <Mark.Volkmann@AGEDWARDS.com>, <scott_boag@us.ibm.com>
To: Michael Brundage <xquery@comcast.net>
Michael,

whenever XQuery or his descendants will become closer to a
programming language then it is now (thing that will not wait for
very long) and will have statements, then YES at that point we should
definitively add ";" or some other form of statement combinator.

In the meantime, a single side-effect free expression doesn't seem to
need one. Such an expression doesn't make a statement to me. The
updates definitively are, but not the read-only queries.

For example:

  //foo;
  delete //foo[1];
  //foo;

should end up at least with a warning (if not an error) because
the  //foo; is meaningless code (doesn't impact the semantics of the
program).

But we are going to fast I think.

Best regards,
Dana