Fw: ORA-SE-341-B: serialization of XQuery DataModel instance is inadequate

Steve,

     In [1] you submitted the following comment on the serialization
draft:

Steve Buxton wrote on 2004-02-17 06:31:41 AM:
> SECTION 2:
>
> Serialization of the Data Model is important because we want to be
> able to share Data Model instances between applications over a
> network in a standard way. Today the spec does not support this (e.
> g. document boundaries are blurred, scalar values are converted to
> text nodes).
>
> We should use XML itself to solve the problem. The idea
> is the same as using XML to represent XML schema and using XML to
> represent XQuery (XQueryX).
>
> First, we can  define an XML schema that describes the
> XQuery data model , then serialize the XQuery data model instance
> based on this XML schema.
> The key is to define a comprehensive XML schema to describe an XQuery
> data model instance.
>
> For example, consider an XQuery data model instance that consists of
> 2 items, an
> xs:integer  of value 1, followed
> by an xs:string of value 'abc'. It can be serialized as:
>
> <xqdm:seq xmlns:xqdm="http://www.w3.org/2004/xqdm" >
>    <xqdm:item>
>         <xqdm:type>xs_integer<xqdm:type>
>         <xqdm:value>1<xqdm:value>
>    </xqdm:item>
>     <xqdm:item>
>         <xqdm:type>xs_string<xqdm:type>
>         <xqdm:value>abc<xqdm:value>
>    </xqdm:item>
> </xqdm:seq>
>
> With this kind of serialization, the Data Model can be serialized in
> exactly one way.

     Thank you for submitting this comment.

     The XSL and XQuery working groups considered your comment and related
comments.  There was general agreement that there is some need for a
mechanism for serializing arbitrary sequences that preserves most or all
of the properties of the items in an arbitrary sequence that is being
serialized.

     However, the working groups decided that precisely defining all of
the requirements for such a mechanism at this stage would be difficult,
and would likely lead to a solution that would not satisfy real user
requirements.  Therefore, the working groups decided to consider such a
feature for a future revision of the recommendations, and close this
comment without any changes to the specifications.

     May I ask you to confirm that this resolution is acceptable?

Thanks,

Henry
[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Feb/0918.html