RE: /WD-xpath-datamodel-20030502/

> We need to be careful here...
>
> | We have added statements in the XPath and XSLT specifications saying
> | that the set of types may be extended by implementors, I think the
> | Data Model document probably needs to say something to reflect this.
>
> Users cannot create new primitive datatypes.

Users of XSLT 1.0 have indeed been able to create new primitive data types,
as part of the "extension function" mechanism. For example, an extension
function sql:dbConnect() can return an object of type "database connection".
The only thing you can do with such an object is pass it to another
extension function; but it's still useful. Of course such types can never
appear as the value of a node.

We have stated in the XSLT spec that the same capability is available in
XSLT 2.0, though the effect (like everything connected with extension
functions) is somewhat implementation-defined, and we are still debating
exactly how much we want to constrain it. Some people have suggested that
such "external objects" should be represented by an object within our type
system acting as a surrogate, for example an anyURI or a hexBinary; but this
seems unnecessarily clumsy.

Michael Kay

  All they can do