RE: TR/xquery-operators/#func-doc

You have to understand that XQuery has no problem with the 99% use of
fn:document that takes a URI and returns a document. However,
fn:document has so many special cases that are almost never used but
complicate the functionality, that we felt fn:doc() is providing the 99%
functionality without all the additional baggage.

You could see this to be the first stage of a deprecation of
fn:document() in XPath. First, we provide a simpler function. In a later
version, fn:document() may be removed.

At least that's how I personally see the reason for keeping both in
XPath.

Best regards
Michael