RE: www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#element-copy-of

If you are producing text output, I would imagine that you could always use
xsl:value-of, since you presumably don't want elements and attributes in the
output. The xsl:value-of instructions retains its separator attribute.

We removed the separator attribute from xsl:copy-of because with the new
sequence construction semantics in XSLT, it became very complex to specify
how many nodes were generated in the presence of the separator attribute.
For example,

  <xsl:value-of select="1,2,3,4" separator="|"/>

produces a single text node, so people might also expect

  <xsl:copy-of select="1,2,3,4" separator="|"/>

to produce a single text node. But then what would:

  <xsl:copy-of select="//thing" separator=","/>

produce?

We also felt that users would be frustrated that they couldn't do things
like:

  <xsl:copy-of-select="//para" separator="<hr/>"/>

The use cases for introducing a text separator when copying nodes, as
distinct from atomic values, seemed slim, so we took the facility out,
purely to keep the spec simpler.