RE: 1.2 Error in type hierarchy?

I think you will agree that NMTOKEN, IDREF and ENTITY can be derived
from
anyAtomicType.  The three types you mention are "generated" from the
above types by using the list generator.  XML Schema terminology is
confusing because creating a list type from an atomic type is not really
derivation. It's much more like type generation.  The list type is not a
subtype of the atomic type that it is generated from.

All the best, Ashok

Schema