From: public-qt-comments-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-qt-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Paul Cotton
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 11:22 PM
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Subject: How to Compare URIs reference

The Functions and Operators Last Call working draft points to

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0006.html

in the reference:

===

How to Compare URIs

World Wide Web Consortium, member-only note. Available at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0006.html

===

First this URL is actually not member-only but is publicly accessible.

But the W3C TAG has decided that the material in this email should be
folded into the revision to RFC 2396 being edited by Roy Fielding:

http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html

I believe the URL of the appropriate section is:

http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#comparison

I therefore suggest that that this reference be changed to:

===

How to Compare URIs

"Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax" (T. Berners-Lee, R.
Fielding, L. Masinter, Eds.) is currently being revised. The IETF
Internet Draft draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03
<http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#comparison
>  is expected to obsolete RFC 2396, which is the current URI standard.
Section 6 "Normalization and Comparison" contains information on
comparison of URIs.

===

Note that I am aware that the Last Call WD contains a normative
reference to the original RFC 2396.  I recommend that we leave that
reference as is until such time as Roy's revision is adopted and that we
then consider if we wish to align with the revised RFC.

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada

Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329

mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com