RE: Data Model - 4. Nodes

> Since XPath/XQuery operate on the infoset

This is not a correct assertion.  XPath/XQuery operate on the Data Model
which can be constructed from an Infoset (and PSVI).  They do not
actually operator on the Infoset since the Data Model is not isomorphic
to the Infoset.

Note as well that XQuery/XPath operators can change the Data Model
instance and we do not define the reverse mappings to an Infoset
representation of these modified Data Model instances.  Eventually we
will define how to serialize a Data Model instance into XML and this
will in affect indirectly define the Infoset representation of the
instance.

/paulc
Chair, XML Query WG

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada