Re: Packaging CSS Validator and Command line

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 04:21:42PM +0100, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Nice, I'm still very new to eclipse but it looks good.

(I'm afraid I go on about IDEs for a bit. Scroll down to Olivier's
next comment if you want to skip it).

I've played with it a little bit in the past, but never with much
success. This is the first time I've tried to use it for Java and I'm
rather liking it.

Certainly it made it relatively easy to import the entire CVS tree
with that fun Parser class in it and then remove the stuff that
wouldn't compile without edits / bits from other sources.

I'm also really loving its ability to automatically identify classes
and add import statements to use them, and to fixup method
calls/definitions to match changing parameters.

Its just a shame it can't fix Java's irritating exception handling[1]
(No, foo will always be defined, if it isn't then the exception
handler will throw a wobbley and the code won't reach this point). :)

Wow, this has turned into something of a deluge of my feelings about
an IDE. Anyway, back to the point:

> Also, this should go without saying, but just in case: if you would
> like some CVS space for your hacking, or a server to put temp files
> on, just ask.

Thanks, I was planning to ask for some CVS access once I'd got the
groundwork laid. I want to get things a bit cleaner and better
structured before I go making code public.

I'm also wondering about the best way to handle distribution. So, some
questions which I'll be looking for answers to at some point (if
anyone here can answer them - super):

Would bundling it up in the main .jar work?

Could a wrapper detect if the command line or GUI version should run?

What happens if the user doesn't have SWT?

Should we distribute SWT? If so, then how to go about it, it has OS
specific bindings.

Eclipse distributes SWT, and has OS specific packages (and the Windows
version, at least, has a native system executable to run Eclipse
itself).

[1] I'm a Perl programmer, so Java feels somewhat straightjacketish ;)