WG liaisons (Re: [meeting] summary of discussions - 2005-02-22)

On Feb 23, 2005, at 18:29, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> * Gathering test cases a.k.a involving the WGs in the validator *
> a "good thing" (TM) would be to have more interaction between WGs and
> the validators, and even though most of them may think we are
> irrelevant to their work until we make progress with m12n and move
> away from DTD-only paradigm, a few groups could benefit from more
> interaction with us. One suggestion was to prepare a WBS (survey) for
> WG chairs.

Our own plan/timeline is very important here. If we think we can have a
first m12n'd version of the markup validator by e.g may, this will
drastically change the message I will bring to other groups at the TP
next week. (See also my next message on releasing another 0.6.x
version)

> [additional discussions on SVG validation, orphaned svgvalidator, and
> future work in this area ]

I don't remember mentioning this in any of our meetings (though I do
recall chatting about it on IRC), but I had some very good discussions
with members of the SVG WG last november at the AC Meeting. The core of
it is that the SVG WG is going to allocate resource to work on
validation for SVG1.2. The possible scenarios is that if we can provide
them a framework to do schema/relax with our validator, I assume they
will be happy to work with our tool, otherwise they will create a
different service that we can then "proxy" from v.w.o like we do for
text/css.

> * HTML 4.01 errata work *
> -> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qa-dev/2005Feb/0035.html
> Some mentions of such a work in progress appeared in HTML WG minutes
> recently. Very brief, but worth keeping an eye at, especially for a
> couple of errata items very relevant to validation.
>
> Tech Plenary in a few days, it would be good to liaise with HTML WG
> there.

Are there other such issues than
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2002OctDec/0023.html
and
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2004AprJun/0175.html
?

I agree with the former and its proposed resolution, and (as I was
saying on IRC yesterday) would amend the proposed resolution: as far as
I can understand, the current verbiage is not consistent, but would be
if "Authors must specify the style sheet language of style information
associated with an HTML document." was replaced with "Authors should
specify the style sheet language of style information associated with
an HTML document." Also, drop "Documents that include elements that set
the style attribute but which don't define a default style sheet
language are incorrect.

I will at least have a chat with some HTML WG members on this topic, at
best (if possible) I will try to see if I can join their meeting.