Re: S:P:O in cvs is win32-specific?

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>Ah, sorry, I did not remember the details of the announcement, just
>went and fetched the source. As a matter of fact people willing to try
>spo may not have seen it, so maybe it's a good idea to copy-paste the
>announcement into the README for the moment?

Well... I guess I rather fix the Makefile.PL...

>I see. I am surprised, however, that it is the case. It means for
>example that the module could not be installed with e.g 'perl -MCPAN -e
>install'. I would expect perl developers to have come with a solution
>for it, since xs dev is not so uncommon anyway.

The build process would need to know

  * where are the OpenSP headers
  * where is the OpenSP link library
  * which C++ compiler to use
  * which linker to use

Perl does not have universal answers to these questions and I do not
either. You can make some assumptions, e.g. that the C++ compiler would
be g++ and that the headers are in /usr/include/OpenSP/. This would fail
on my system, the headers are in d:\osp\include and d:\osp\generic and
the compiler would be `cl -TP`, so I would have to change the Makefile
to use the correct settings. Or I specify what works for me and you have
to change it. A third option would be to hardcode some guess work in the
Makefile.PL and allow the user to supply alternate values. I found hard-
coding values that work on my system the most convenient solution for
now.