Re: [check] Progress Towards Release...

>* Terje Bless wrote:
>>If anyone thinks I'm pushing it by going to release now, you'd better
>>start screaming very loudly right about now! :-)
>
>I'd like to see an explicit Request for Comments on XML/N3/EARL output
>(with some introduction, an example, pointer at documentation). I think
>many people just overlooked it. Maybe a general Last Call for Comments
>(including the above) would be fair, with a deadline 2002/12/01 for
>example, just like LC WDs do.

Well, this isn't a new spec being published, it's a new version of a
software program. Thus I find the notion of a "Last Call" somewhat odd in
the context. This code has been in development for ages now so you may want
to consider the Beta period as a "Last Call" period.

I think I do see what you mean, but waiting any further now would impose
too much of a delay. I'm pushing this out now because I have (finally!)
managed to take a couple of weeks off from my day job to work on this. If
we were to have a Last Call period now we'd push the release back
potentially until early next year!

That may be unavoidable of course, but my current impression is that it
isn't.

In particular, the XML/EARL/N3 will still be labelled as "Beta", with no
visible user interface, and with a big honkin' bright yellow warning label
in the documentation. I think that's good enough to avoid problems.

And I've asked people with reservations about these options to make some
noise before. If anyone truly thinks it would be harmfull to include them
in this release, you have to come through very loudly and very clearly so I
can _remove_ them from the code before release.

And, gentlemen, the clock _is_ ticking!

--
"You gonna take advice from somebody who slapped DEE BARNES?!" -- eminem