Re: CEPC and formal legal options

Hi Coralie,

26.11.2014, 19:55, "Coralie Mercier" <coralie@w3.org>:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:12:11 +0100, <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>> šin the Procedures, the first sentence points out that the CEPC does not
>> šoverride normal legal mechanisms. It would be a good idea to place the
>> šsame notice somewhere near the very beginning of the CEPC itself.
> I looked at w3process issue-146
> <https://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/issues/146> and what
> contributes to closing it is this (member-only) message:
> šššhttps://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2014OctDec/0176.html
>
> ... which stresses out:
>
> [[ The [Procedures] document says "Ombuds will operate by procedures
> appropriate to their sites and jurisdictions." šThat sets a clear
> expectation that we have the flexibility to align with local requirements
> ]]
>
> With regard to your suggestion to place the same notice somewhere near the
> very beginning of the CEPC [1], Daniel Dardailler and I are of the opinion
> that it would not be appropriate nor necessary, given that the code of
> conduct is a manifesto, and that it points to the procedures, a click away.

Being a click away means being invisible to people who have just read the manifesto - or e.g. printed it on the back of some material, and like the privacy policy, terms and conditions, copyright rules, and other stuff that people don't read as a rule. I think it is actually important to note that the Code *complements* rather than replaces normal legal remedies, within the manifesto document text.

cheers

Chaals