From: Reid, Wendy <wendy.reid@rakuten.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 10:31 AM
To: W3C Publishing Steering Committee <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>
Subject: Workshop Proposal for TPAC

⛔
This is an external email.
Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week and enjoying the spring weather!

Since we didn’t have an SC meeting this month, and won’t until June now due to holidays, I wanted to suggest something here in the hopes we can mull over it before the June meeting and come to some consensus.

TPAC is approaching, and the EPUB WG is progressing towards REC more or less on schedule. I foresee us potentially having to extend the charter beyond the Feb 2023 deadline by a few months due to delays in getting to CR, but we are very much on track for REC status no later than Q2 2023.

The problem now is what comes after. We don’t have a clear idea for a charter for the next phase of publishing standards, and while the WG and CG have had ideas raised, nothing has yet come up that amounts to a complete charter or plan for the future. We have time, but if we hope to charter a group immediately following EPUB, we’re a ways off.

After talking to a few people in this group, I wanted to raise the idea of running a workshop for the publishing community at TPAC, taking advantage of the attendance of members of EPUB, but also a venue where if any questions about other specs or charters get raised, we have access to people to help right away.

I do want to emphasize for this workshop I want more than just EPUB people there, I think it would be good to open it up to anyone in our industry interested in the future of standards, or at least interested in solving some of the problems our industry faces currently and going forward. Any work we do in this new WG would be years away from implementation, but we have to start somewhere.

In terms of logistics, it would be a hybrid workshop (so welcome to in-person and remote attendance), and we would want representation from all parts of the digital publishing space: publishers, retailers, distributors, tool vendors, alternate format providers, accessibility professionals, and conversion vendors.

I would love everyone’s thoughts and opinions on this, it would be great to have some discussion on this over email before the meeting in the hopes of deciding whether to proceed.

Cheers,
Wendy
The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, review, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete all copies of the email and any attachments.