RE: F2F agenda ideas

I’ve had a bit more of a chance to think through how we can come away from the F2F with specific action items, and I’ve been thinking about what the SC and the Publishing Activity with has been struggling with the most for the past few years. Here are a few thoughts.

  *   The IDPF was fundamentally a standards body. Markus did more than many people realized in leading the technical work. He had a remarkable skill of leading people to think that they had come to the conclusion that they wanted to create change on their own. When it came down to the nitty gritty work, it was done by maybe 15 people. The same 15 people (with a few changes) are still doing the work today. Matt Garrish has been the editor of the EPUB specs for years. Without Matt, EPUB would not exist as it does today.

  *   Let’s consider what the role of IDPF board was and how that transitions into leadership in the BG and whether we need an SC. The IDPF board approved spec work but was not involved in spec writing. Some members of the board participated in the WG, but that was by choice. The board worked on fiscal issues, conference planning, and proposed new work at times. Perhaps the role of the SC/ BG leadership should focus more on building community? We have seen successful events in Fukuoka. Should we be looking at workshops? Webinars? Community building? What would conferences look like? Who will fund them? How often? How do we avoid competing with an already competitive conference industry? (ebookcraft, EDRLab’s summit, etc). Building community can also mean learning to fit in with the W3C culture. That is new for many of us.

  *   The SC is not functioning as a committee. We are several people who often have conflicting goals with no leader to provide vision or help us to come to agreement about the goals. Thus, the Publishing Activity has no clear goals and no clear direction. Should we appoint a chair? Should we close the SC? The SC and BG often overlap significantly. Let’s consider why and how to manage this.

  *   One of the biggest conflicts is that there is no consensus on whether EPUB should be REC track or even whether EPUB should be rigorously tested. If we don’t make EPUB a REC (at some point), then why are we in the W3C? What is the future of EPUB if it can’t be treated as if it will eventually be a TR in W3C? Are we attempting to create a unique Process just for Publishing? Will surveying the community answer this questions?. Understanding the Process, the testing, what is possible, and what it will and will not mean for the existing EPUB Spec and the supply chain will tell us more. Coming to understand the reluctance to bring EPUB to REC track will help us. At the end of the day, we need to have a specific decision about EPUB and testing and EPUB and Rec track or we will be treading water for years to come.

Additionally, I am offering to chair the meeting (possibly with a little help). I would really like to make sure that we come away from the Face to Face with solid resolutions and concrete goals for 2020.

Thank you,
Tzviya

Tzviya Siegman
Information Standards Lead