Re: External Coordination Task Force

Thanks to both of you, that's just what I needed! Here's an updated draft:

=====

Dear PBG member--

BISG, the Book Industry Study Group, continues to be a valuable partner to
the W3C in providing insights relevant to the work within the Publishing@W3C
activity, collaborating with those activities when appropriate, and being
supportive of its results.

However, BISG is (1) specifically a U.S. supply chain organization, and (2)
focuses only on books.

The mission of the External Coordination Task Force is to coordinate with
other such geographically focused, sector-specific, or publishing industry
organizations that are directly related to our work, in order to keep them
informed about Publishing@W3C activity and to provide a vehicle for them to
provide input to the work.

Examples of geographically focused organizations that could be included are
BookNet Canada, Book Industry Communications (BIC) in the UK, Associazione
Italiana Editori (AIE) in Italy, Taiwan’s TDPF (Taiwan Digital Publishing
Forum), and similar organizations in France, Germany, Korea, China, and
many other countries.

Japan has quite a few organizations which could be relevant, such as  APL
(Advanced Publishing Lab), EBPAJ (The Electronic Book Publishers
Association of Japan), DCA (Digital Comic Association), AEBS (Association
for E-publishing Business Solution), JPO (Japan Publishing Organization for
Information Infrastructure Development) and JBPA (Japan Book Publishers
Association). Also, we have a connection to Taiwan’s TDPF (Taiwan Digital
Publishing Forum), all of which my co-chairs Daihei and Yoshii-san could
coordinate with.

Examples of publishing industry or sector-specific organizations include
EDItEUR; Idealliance (magazines); the Society for Scholarly Publishing
(SSP); the Association of University Presses (AUP, formerly AAUP); the
International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC), the news and media
industry technology standards organization;and perhaps library
organizations such as the ALA or OCLC. And of course EDRLab is already
involved.

Obviously, there is a perhaps overwhelming number of potential
organizations that might be relevant. Deciding which organizations should
be our top priorities for involvement and determining the means of
communicating with and potentially involving these organizations will be
the first order of business for the External Communications Task Force.
Note that it's possible that we will decide on two types of relationships:
those with which we maintain a relatively active relationship and others
which we may simply keep informed periodically, always of course
encouraging their input.

Please contact me if you are willing to serve on the External Coordination
Task Force. And if you are willing to be the point person for one of the
organizations mentioned above, or another organization you can recommend,
please let me know.

Because of the geographical distribution of our likely members (not to
mention the three co-chairs) I suspect most of our work will be done by
email and Google Docs with periodic but infrequent conference calls.

--Bill Kasdorf, Co-Chair

=====

Please let me know how that works for you now. Note that I have expanded it
in several places; I didn't just add the organizations you emailed me.

I've also copied the Steering Committee and Chairs group, as well as Brian
O'Leary, since BISG is mentioned so prominently, to get their feedback as
well.

I will plan to send the email out on Monday to the PBG as a whole, in
advance of the Tuesday meeting, assuming I've gotten feedback by then.

--Bill K

*Bill Kasdorf*
*Principal, Kasdorf & Associates, LLC*
kasdorf.bill@gmail.com