Re: late incoming: Publishing@W3C Summit Theme

I certainly haven't been to as many publishing conferences as Bill, but
I've been to too many. Most are forgettable, some are regrettable, but only
a few inspire loyalty and love—ebookcraft and Books in Browsers. Ebookcraft
is built around a specialized community, and we can't quite recreate that.
But Books in Browsers is an interesting model, and I think a large part of
its success is because it has a clear theme and an actual point of view.
Here's the blurb for the next Books in Browsers:

In 2017 BiB will focus on how changing expressions of art and media can
forge stories that encourage social change and engagement. By examining how
we use data and narrative, we will explore how storytellers can contribute
voice to people and perspectives that would otherwise be muffled or
submerged by oppression and negligence.

A critical component of 2017’s theme is the creator’s struggle to obtain an
authentic voice, particularly when we speak with and for communities of
which we are not members. We will also be addressing how to bring more
people in touch with the technology, skills, and platforms they need to
tell their own stories, particularly when they are emerging from
disenfranchised environments.

BiB isn't trying to be all things to all people, and this reads to me as
more authentic than most conference blurbs. Digital publishing faces huge,
complex, and interesting problems. Let's confront them! Let's talk about
them! Here's what I would propose:

DAVID AND GOLIATH: DIGITAL PUBLISHING AMONGST THE GIANTS

We live in an age of giants, where most published content is delivered to
readers by immense corporations. Amazon, Apple, and Google control not only
customer relationships, but the technology that displays our content. Web
and ebook standards are all that stand between us and these giants. But how
do we get the giants to listen? How do publishers and standards
organizations respond to new, proprietary features? How can we push for
interoperability in this fragmented landscape? How can we balance the needs
of readers, authors, distributors, and retailers? How can we support
existing content and business practices while building toward a better
future? How can we integrate new web technologies, like web payments and
linked data, into our businesses?

Now that the IDPF has combined with W3C, perhaps there are lessons to be
learned from the history of both organizations, and we certainly have a lot
to learn from each other. Hear from both Davids and Goliaths and add your
voice, as the web and publishing communities create the future together.

Regards,

Dave