Re: Conditions for not raising formal objections

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 9:26 PM MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
wrote:

> Then, I continue to consider EPUB 3.2 as a risk rather than
> a chance.  I also think that the W3C process is inappropriate
> for publishing, since it pays little attention to longevity and
> too much attention to interoperability.

Twenty-year-old websites work just fine in modern browsers, because W3C is
concerned about both interoperability and longevity.

The charter for the Web Platform Working Group, which among other things is
responsible for HTML can be found at
https://www.w3.org/2017/08/webplatform-charter.html. Note that the charter
does not promise that <p> or <h1> will not be removed in HTML 5.4. They
won't be removed because they work, they are needed, they are used.

> Here is a list of EPUB features in the EBPAJ profile.  Can the recharter
> proposal ensure that none of them will be dropped?
>
> @page-progression-direction
> @linear
> properties="page-spread-right" and properties="page-spread-left"
> dc:title, dc:creator, dc:publisher, dc:language, dc:identifier
> properties="nav" and properties="cover-image"
> property="role", property="file-as", and property="display-seq
> navigarion documents
>
> CSS Text Level 3 -epub-line-break / -epub-word-break /
> -epub-text-align-last
>
> CSS Writing Modes Module Level 3 -epub-writing-mode /
> -epub-text-orientation / -epub-text-combine -epub-text-combine-horizontal
>
> CSS Fonts Level 3 @font-face (font-family / font-style / font-weight / src
> / unicode-range)
>
> CSS Text Decoration Level 3 -epub-text-emphasis /
> -epub-text-emphasis-color / -epub-text-emphasis-style
> -epub-text-underline-position

Our charter can (and should) state that interoperability and backward
compatibility is the fundamental goal of EPUB 3.X. But the charter is not
the place for specific promises that features that are not implemented will
be retained. But why even express concern about dc:title or navigation?
Literally every single EPUB in the entire world includes those features.
They are mandatory. They are not going to be removed from EPUB. There are
multiple implementations of EPUB Fixed Layout. Those properties are not
going to be removed from EPUB. All the CSS modules you mention are part of
the CSS Snapshot, and thus officially part of EPUB. We are not going to
remove them. The use of prefixed CSS properties is well-understood. We are
not going to kill them.

Is your concern that EPUBCheck will reject some EPUBs that were valid
before, although the features in question didn't actually work? Let's deal
with that if it becomes a problem, during CR. Otherwise we are just arguing
about hypotheticals.

Dave