Re: Pursuing the wrong goal? (was Re: A followup/writeup on our Monday discussions (was Re: Continuing discussion on Polyfills))

From: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 20:21:10 +0900
To: public-publ-wg@w3.org
Folks,

Since the beginning of EPUB 3.1, I have been skeptical.
I have always thought that we spend too much energy on
minor details such as JSON, the HTML syntax of HTML5,
packaging formats, manifest formats, and so forth.  We
have apparently failed to achieve W3C-wide consensus
about (if any) fundamental differences between the
current OWP and e-book world.

I think that we should spend more time on errata (or
maintenance releases), accessibility issues, ISO/IEC
standardization, and epubcheck.  Such works are
certainly useful.  I am not yet convinced if (P)WP has
any real values.

Regards,
Makoto