Re: Pursuing the wrong goal? (was Re: A followup/writeup on our Monday discussions (was Re: Continuing discussion on Polyfills))

From: Bill Kasdorf <kasdorf.bill@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 10:41:27 -0500
To: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Cc: W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
I may be sticking my naive and non-technical neck out here, but I have been
preaching for years that what we want is a single format that just opens in
an ereader like iBooks or Kobo or a browser like Chrome or Edge or any
other conformant reading system based on, for example, Readium--a file that
is pure OWP. Isn't that a real value, and isn't it the case that that
doesn't exist yet? Even though, admittedly, Edge now does pretty much open
EPUB and the next release of Literatum (big in the scholarly world) will
too, current EPUB, with its XML and its @epub:type etc. etc. is not that
thing--right?

*Bill Kasdorf*
*Principal, Kasdorf & Associates*