Re: OCF for Packaging (was Re: [AudioTF] Agenda 2018-12-14)

I’m well aware that some of the technology we are looking at is not ready. Web Packaging is promising but we won’t see it in 2019, that much was clear when I spoke with them at TPAC, that does not preclude it being something we keep on our radar for a version 1.1. We don’t know that an even better option comes out in 2020, that is the fun part about technology.

We are working on web publications with a subset focus on audiobooks as a proving ground. We have failed if we create something that does not work on the web.

An unpackaged audiobook that can be opened in a web browser, that can be packaged easily for distribution to a retailer, then on the user side either consumed in the packaging in a specialized user agent or without it in a vanilla browser seems very possible to me if we put our collective minds to it.

From: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 4:08 PM
To: "Reid, Wendy" <wendy.reid@rakuten.com>
Cc: Laurent Le Meur <laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Avneesh Singh <avneesh.sg@gmail.com>, Brady Duga <duga@google.com>, Garth Conboy <garth@google.com>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: OCF for Packaging (was Re: [AudioTF] Agenda 2018-12-14)

I just want to reemphasize our main goal, especially as we discuss packaging:
Create a specification for the audiobook format that is usable on both the web and in packaged contexts

Well, good luck with that. There's nothing ready on the Web and there won't be any time soon.

This is the wrong focus if the goal is to deliver a specification that will work for the industry in 2019 instead of 2022.