Re: OCF for Packaging (was Re: [AudioTF] Agenda 2018-12-14)

From: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 00:00:49 +0100
To: "Reid, Wendy" <wendy.reid@rakuten.com>
Cc: Laurent Le Meur <laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Avneesh Singh <avneesh.sg@gmail.com>, Brady Duga <duga@google.com>, Garth Conboy <garth@google.com>, W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
> An unpackaged audiobook that can be opened in a web browser, that can be
packaged easily for distribution to a retailer, then on the user side
either consumed in the packaging in a specialized user agent or without it
in a vanilla browser seems very possible to me if we put our collective
minds to it.

There's nothing that a Web browser can open right now in 2018 and given the
pace of working on a standard and getting implementations, I doubt that
things will dramatically change in 2019 or 2020 (hence the 2022 horizon
that I was pointing at).

In the meantime, we're stuck with something less than ideal on the Web (ZIP
or one of the variants that we're discussing) but that can still work in a
Web app with a mixed of partial range requests and JS.
Is that what you meant by "usable on the Web"?

If not, I'm sorry but given the current charter for this WG, this is indeed
a pipe dream.