Re: Can a publication change over time?

From: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 01:50:00 +0200
To: Garth Conboy <garth@google.com>
Cc: Laurent Le Meur <laurent.lemeur@edrlab.org>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, "public-publ-wg@w3.org" <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
While we could have a way of identifying specific revisions (using a
timestamp or some sort of hash), I don't think that we'll ever have full
control over this.

As Laurent correctly pointed out, there are many resources in a Web
Publication, including images/videos/stylesheets that could be updated on a
regular basis. It's very unlikely that anyone will update a WP manifest and
indicate a new "release" whenever such a resource is updated.

Even for the primary resources of a publication, if a resource is shared
across a large number of publications (Jiminy identified one use case for
that) I really doubt that each WP manifest should and would also get
updated at the same time.

In EPUB, the resources are archived in a package and can be completely
controlled. On the Web where the resources are spread across at least
multiple URIs (and most of the time multiple domains), such a control is
impossible and the notion of an identifier per "release" is at best a hint,
never a requirement or something that you can completely trust.

Rather than being a key component of an identifier (like in EPUB), this
could be mostly useful in order to know when a packaged or cached
publication should be updated.