Re: [Minutes] Meeting Minutes 2017-12-11

Hey Daniel,

Sorry for the naming collision. The term "Selectors" was used from the beginning in Web Annotation specs [1] (not just notes) and in the terminology used by its predecessor, Open Annotation [2].

Certainly it's impossible for everyone who cares about such term choices to track all the things in all the places. However, this terminology within the annotation specs is not 5+ years in use, and hasn't met any resistance from anyone--hence it's still being around.

Perhaps renaming it could be done if/when another iteration happens (perhaps born out of the work being done here)--and perhaps "locator" is one possibility.

All that to say, we're not just kicking sand around the W3C and have instead been working through the process same as anyone else MUST. The feedback you've provided already has been helpful and heeded as I hope is clear in the latest iteration of the spec:

https://w3c.github.io/publ-loc/

We'll be continuing to iterate on this specification (of course), so your continued input would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you for your continued input, Daniel,

Benjamin

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#selectors

[2] http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#Selectors

--