Re: [PROV-AQ] ISSUE-618: Should pingback be described in PROV-AQ?

On Mar 13, 2013, at 12:00 , Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> While I'm enjoying people discussing my thesis and I agree with Luc it could be considered a potential design, I didn't write up the contribution and submit it for consideration by the group whereas Tim and Stian did. So that's my own fault.
>
> I think the core issue is the role of the note. Graham's position is that this is very much something to go and try and out so it's not as formal. I think we have other notes that we do consider in a more formal sense (e.g. the Primer, prov-xml). I'd like to here Ivan's commentary on this one.

Ivan cannot really comment:-) What the goal of a Note is up to the group to decide, as long as this is clearly stated. So maybe the status section (or the abstract) of a note may include a reference to whether that note is considered to be 'experimental' or 'final'. Of course, an additional matter is a certain level of consistency among all our notes. But an explicit wording in text would be helpful anyway.

> This is the crux of the matter. We can go with an idea and wait for implementation experience.
>
> One thing that we can do is to ask people what they think of pingback. We just published a working draft. If we get support from a wider audience then this argues in favour of keeping it in. If we get hard questions on the mechanism, then this doesn't.

I think that is the right thing to do.

Ivan

> [...]
> >
> > My reading of Paul's mechanism is that it takes place in the context of a direct interaction between cooperating agents, and as such is able to offer a complete solution for creating a provenance graph in the context of such interaction.  By comparison, the pingback, in conjunction with the other PROV-AQ mechanisms, proves a mechanism which _might_ be used as part of the mechanisms Paul describes, but does not attempt to provide such a complete solution.  But, crucially, the pingback is also applicable in situations where one or more of the parties contributing to an overall provenance graph is unknown to the other(s).
> >

> >> 6.  The rest of the PAQ was driven by the scenario http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/ProvenanceAccessScenario
> >>     I don't know what the  scenario is for ping back.
> > Pingback likewise. http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Provenance_ping-backs
> >
> >> 7. I don't think the group in the eleventh hour should try to define this scenario.
> > Hardly eleventh hour.  It's been under consideration for over a year now.
> >

> >> My recommendation is to:
> >> - put in our wiki Tim's original proposal for ping back
> > Er, I'm not aware that Tim proposed a mechanism so much as a set of requirements.  The current proposal (arrived at through some iteration) was intended to address those requirements.
> >> - put in our wiki put in our wiki Stian's proposal for ping back
> >> - add a future work/other issues section to the PAQ with reference to the two wiki pages, a link to this issue.
> >> This will ensure that the work is not lost, and still referenced from the PAQ, while not formally part of it.
> >>
> > Well, that's a choice, but the current mechanisms have been significantly reviewed that inclusion in a NOTE is not inappropriate.
> >
> > If this document were to be a REC, I'd be fully in agreement with your position that an untried mechanism like Pingback is inappropriate.  (The same *could* be said of all the mechanisms that are documented in PROV-AQ.)  If thePingback were radically different from the other mechanisms in PROV-AQ, I'd be more inclined agree with you, but it is really a very small extension of what is already there: using a combination of existing HTTP and link-passing mechanisms to provide access to information.
> >
> > My own concern is that if we park the material in the wiki, it *will* be lost for practical purposes.  We have a low cost, low risk mechanism available to make this material available for ongoing reference, discussion and experimentation, specifying a mechanism that several people have expressed interest in, and I'm not seeing any compelling reason why we shouldn't use it.
> >
> > #g
> > --

> Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
> http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
> Assistant Professor
> - Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
>   Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153