Re: Proposed response to PROV-AQ comments from James Anderson

Really nice Graham.

Paul

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Graham Klyne <graham.klyne@zoo.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> In the telecon, I mentioned one public comment to which there has not yet
> been a
> response.  The comment was slightly tricky for me to deal with as an
> editor of
> PROV-AQ, as some elements of it seem to call for changes to documents
> other than
> PROV-AQ.  Here is a proposed response.

> From: James Anderson
> (
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-comments/2013Jan/0033.html
> )
> (james anderson <james@dydra.com>)

> upon reading prov-aq with the goal to implement access to provenance
> information for repositories in the dydra triple store, i observe
> inconsistent intentions with respect to that document's role in the
> specification. the document suggests, that it is intended to become a
> recommendation, while the overview states, that prov-aq is to be
> published as a note. should the latter be the true intent, some of
> the its exposition should be removed to a normative document before
> they are final. implementors will not be well-served if prov-aq
> remains a note, but is written in terms of concepts which are
> introduced there, without mention in either prov-o or prov-dm.
>
>  >>> Response:
> The charter of the working group does not include the preparation of a
> recommendation-track specification for access and query.  Also, while the
> representation of provenance is backed up by considerable experience to the
> basis of standardization, there is much less experience of how this might
> be
> used at web-scale, so at this stage a non-normative NOTE is considered to
> be an
> appropriate precursor to possible future standardization activity when
> there is
> greater operational experience to guide it.
>
> I don't know why you think "the document suggests that it is intended to
> become
> a recommendation".  This document has always been targeted as being just a
> note,
> and I had thought it makes that intent quite clear.  We've used
> specification
> language in places to try and make things clear for implementers, but I'm
> not
> aware of any claim that the document is intended to have recommendation
> status.
>
> The text in the latest version of this document has been revised to better
> align
> with concepts covered in the normative documents of the PROV series, so
> this
> will hopefully address some part of your comment.
> <<<
>

> in "1.1 Concepts", the term "constrained resource" appears, with
> reference to prov-dm and to webarch, but the term fails to appear in
> [...]

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
http://www.few.vu.nl/~pgroth/
Assistant Professor
- Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group |
  Artificial Intelligence Section | Department of Computer Science
- The Network Institute
VU University Amsterdam