Re: Multiple XML schema files for a common target namespace (PROV-ISSUE-608)

On Jan 29, 2013, at 7:12 AM, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> If a developer wants to validate a prov xml document, with say dictionary, s/he will have to validate
> the document against extensions/prov-dictionary.xsd.
>
> If a developer wants to validate a prov xml document, with links only, s/he will have to validate
> the document against extensions/prov-links.xsd
>
> How would they validate a document with both links and dictionary?

They should validate against the standard prov.xsd schema which includes core, links, and dictionary.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xs:schema targetNamespace="http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#"
           xmlns:prov="http://www.w3.org/ns/prov#"
           elementFormDefault="qualified"
           attributeFormDefault="unqualified">

	<xs:include schemaLocation="prov-core.xsd"/>
	<xs:include schemaLocation="extensions/prov-dictionary.xsd"/>
	<xs:include schemaLocation="extensions/prov-links.xsd"/>

</xs:schema>

If there were other extensions defined in prov.xsd that the developer did NOT want to validate against then they could create their own local prov.xsd and include only the schemas they wish to validate against by way of the xs:include element.

> Why don't we include all schemas in a single prov-xml.xsd file?  What's the downside with this approach?

The current prov.xsd schema is effectively this, but using imports and keeping modularity to the schema design.  If he have to change something in prov-core, we only have to change it once.

--Stephan