Re: prov-wg Implementation Report Review (Due Fri Feb 15)

Hi Paul, Dong, Stephan,

Thanks for producing the document. It looks very good, and summarise
results neatly.

A few comments/suggestions:

1. What is the plan for this document? Is it to make a note of it? It
would be nice for it to have
some formal status fot it.  If note, should it be part of the PROV
family of documents?

2. abstract: I don't think the first sentence is right. We don't report
on implementation and usage of
the prov family, but only the 4 normative specifications of the prov
family of documents.

-> This document reports on implementations an dusage of the four
    normative specifications [prov-o, prov-dm, prov-n,
    prov-constraints] of the PROV Family of Documents [PROV-OVERVIEW].

3. section 1: bullet 2: "We document that the prov-constraints
specification is implementable". The intro was saying you were taking
two approaches.  So what is the approach?

4. section1: bullet 1:
    we document that there are multiple ... -> we document the existence
of multiple ...
    we document that there are at least ... -> we document the existence
of at least ...

5. Section 1.1. I would make it section 5, after the facts have been
presented

6. Section 1.1. I would not try to paraphrase the exit criteria. The
risk is that the new wording
    may introduce a different semantics.

7. Section 1.1, I would be factual. To start with just number the Exit
criteria.

   PROV CR Exit Criteria 1.a PROV-O
   PROV CR Exit Criteria 1.b PROV-O
   PROV CR Exit Criteria 2.a PROV-N
   PROV CR Exit Criteria 2.b PROV-N
   PROV CR Exit Criteria 3 PROV-DM
   PROV CR Exit Criteria 4 PROV-Constraints

8. Section 3.1 shows that a minimum of 4 implementations produce and
consume all constructs defined in prov-dm.
    Do you mean BOTH produce AND consume,   or EITHER produce OR consume?

    This said, it's not a justification for us meeting PROV-DM exit
criteria.
    We should say:     Met because PROV CR Exit Criteria 1.a, 1.b, 2.a,
2.b were all met.

9. I don't think "For PROV-O, the implementations are from three
separate institutions" is precise enough.
    It could be satisfied by one pair being from one institution.
    I would be more factual (reusing your summary):

    PROV CR Exit Criteria 1.b PROV-O is met because:

    The ProvValidator (University of Southampton) validates (Consumes)
all PROV-O terms generated by PROVoKing (King's College London)
    The prov-check (VU University of Amsterdam) validates all PROV-O
terms converted by the ProvToolbox (University of Southampton)

10 For prov-n, I would also reuse your summary.

      PROV CR Exit Criteria 2.b PROV-N is met because:
     - The ProvValidator (University of Southampton) validates
(consumes) all PROV-N terms generated by the Provenance Server and the
PROV-Python library (University of Southampton, Python code base)
     - The ProvValidator (University of Southampton) validates
(consumes)  some PROV-N terms generated by APROVeD (Ghent University)
     - The ProvValidator (University of Southampton) validates
(consumes)  all PROV-N terms from the examples in the PROV-DM document
(Provenance Working Group)

PROV-DM documents -> PROV-DM document

11. It would be nice to say something along the lines of "The WG
recognizes that implementing the PROV-Constraints document requires
substantial effort. It is nice to see that three radically different
appraoches were chosen to implement this specification: SPARQL, Java,
Prolog, which speaks for the implementability of this specification."

12. Prov-json: check capitalization.