Re: PROV-XML element ordering

From: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 06:37:31 +0000
To: Curt Tilmes <Curt.Tilmes@nasa.gov>
CC: "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Hi Curt,

Does the schema  now impose an order on prov "attributes"?

Without order, I have failed to define an object mapping (with jaxb) that is useful from an OO perspective. Likewise, i have not managed to define a meaningful ORM mapping. Now, this is my experience with these tools, maybe somebody has succeeded.

In summary, The problem I encountered is as follows. If there is a choice (instead of sequence) between say, prov:type, prov:location, prov:label, all these elements are mapped to a single java method or a single sql column. This results in non natural code or SQL queries.

Because of this, my preference is to keep these in a sequence. It does not at all reduce expressivity, I think.

Professor Luc Moreau
Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton
Southampton SO17 1BJ