Re: review of prov-dc

HI Luc,

2012/11/23 Luc Moreau <l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

>  Hi Daniel,
>
> Responding to your comments.
>

> On 11/23/2012 10:54 AM, Daniel Garijo wrote:
>
> Hi Luc.
> Thanks for your feedback. I will go and discuss it with the rest of the
> authors, but
> I can give you some initial comments about the main concerns (see below):
>
> 2012/11/23 Luc Moreau <l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
>

>> Hi Kai and Daniel,
>>
>> I like the document, because it is providing interesting connections
>> between the two ontologies.  And for this, it is useful, and we should
>> publish it.
>>
> Thanks!
>

>> There are a couple of issues that I find problematic and need to be
>> addressed.
>>

>> 1. I don't think that what you say about prov-constraints is correct.
>>    The example of Figure 2 is perfectly valid.  The activity generated
>>    doc1, and *then* used ex:doc1.  That's probably not what you want to
>> express here,
>>    and so the text needs to be rewritten to reflect that.
>>
> What you understood is not what we meant: we were referring to an activity
> that used doc1 and then
> generated doc1.  We will rephrase it accordingly.
>

> What I understood is what your provenance graph shows.
> Figure 2 does not make explicit "used then generated".

I will revise it.

>> 2. A couple of issues about the mapping:
>> 2.1 It's unfortunate that you map dct:replaces to prov:wasInfluencedBy.
>>     PROV specs suggest to use more specific relations.
>>
> This was discussed in the group for a long time. The example that made us
> propose the mapping was related to
> changing a book in a catalog. The replacement could be unrelated to the
> former book, so it is not a derivation,
> specialization or alternate. The dc definition is quite broad in this
> regard.
>

> Derivation does not require the subject and object to be the "same
> resource". A cake was derived from flour.

Agreed, but in the cake example, the flavour was an ingredient from which
the cake was derived.
In the catalog example if there is a replacement of a guide book of Paris
with "El Quijote", the latter is not derived from
the former, they are different entities.
That being said, the DM has evolved since we did the mapping. We will
revise your concerns and produce
an agreed response. These comments are just my current opinion.

Best,
Daniel