[owl changed] Re: PROV-ISSUE-378 (clarifyHadActivity): clarify hadActivity [Ontology]

Daniel,

Please let me know if we can close this issue.

I have summarized the discussions and conclusions below.

Regards,
Tim

1)
During our telecon yesterday, the prov-o team agreed to add the axiom:

ActivityInvolvement subclassOf [ on prov:hadActivity max 0 ] .

Because the domain of prov:activity is ActivityInvolvement, these properties are "effectively" mutually exclusive.

"If you have a prov:activity, you are a prov:ActivityInvolvement".
"If you are a prov:ActivityInvolvement, you do not have a prov:hadActivity".
"If you have a prov:hadActivity, you are not a prov:ActivityInvolvement".

2)
During the meeting, Daniel mentioned the "symmetric" problem and proposed to add:

Derivation subclassOf [ on prov:activity max 0 ] .

Which I believe has the same intent and purposes as just described for ActivityInvolvement.

"One should use prov:hadActivity to reference a Derivation's Activity, not prov:activity".
This applies to not only Derivation, but any other EntityInvolvement as well.

3)
As Daniel points out, Invalidation is a ActivityInvolvement (DM: "Invalidation is the start of the destruction, cessation, or expiry of an existing entity by an ____activity____.")
And so must also not use hadActivity to make the reference (instead, prov:activity).
So, Involvement is incorrectly in the domain of hadActivity.

THREE OWL Changes (http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/rev/feec0dc293e6):

* added ActivityInvolvement subclassOf [ on prov:hadActivity max 0 ] .
* added EntityInvolvement subclassOf [ on prov:activity max 0 ] .
* removed Invalidation from "prov:hadActivity rdfs:domain [ owl:unionOf ( Derivation Invalidation Responsibility Start ) ]"

No new RL violations result from these changes.

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/PIL_OWL_Ontology_Meeting_2012-05-21#Daniel