Re: Proposal on PROV-DM reorganization

Graham

see below

On 5/21/12 11:34 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:
> On 21/05/2012 14:29, Paolo Missier wrote:
>> - importantly what are these /patterns/?? these have always been constructs,
>> relations, etc. Patterns to me are particular compositions of these that are
>> designed to achieve a particular effect. I think these are not patterns.
> Paolo,
>
> To my mind, that they are more than just constructs, relations, etc. is a key to
> understanding how provenance may be approached.  Maybe you don't like the term
> "patterns" because it has other software engineering usage?
I explained above my understanding of the term pattern. I also invoking a OD definition is of limited value, as it does not carry
with it our specific context. If you use UML, then I believe you are inevitably using the term "pattern" in /that/ context.  (as I
am sure you know the key reference to SE patterns in fact comes from architecture:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Pattern_Language)
I have no desire or time to start another exchange of opinions on a loosely defined term, but for all it's worth:

We never until now felt the need to introduce the term "pattern" and this has never been discussed. I don't see how it can just be
added now, and why  Also, we have decided to use UML as minimal grounding of our concepts, at least for illustrative purposes. The
term "pattern" inevitably takes on the definition that comes with this particular context. The UML diagrams in the document are not
patterns. They define a data model, which consists of classes and associations. These are all primitives, including the extensions.
/To my mind/ :-), patterns belong in a "provenance cookbook" and describe appropriate combinations of classes and associations as I
tried to express earlier (above).

I don't think this is worth discussing further but I am really not comfortable with introducing this term out of the blue at this
stage of the editing process.  I hope you don't feel too strongly about it.

-Paolo

--
Paolo Missier - Paolo.Missier@newcastle.ac.uk, pmissier@acm.org