RE: PROV-ISSUE-321 (dgarijo): Instances of involvements can be expressed without a subclass. [Ontology]

-----Original Message-----
From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker [mailto:sysbot+tracker@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:37 PM
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
Subject: PROV-ISSUE-321 (dgarijo): Instances of involvements can be expressed without a subclass. [Ontology]

PROV-ISSUE-321 (dgarijo): Instances of involvements can be expressed without a subclass. [Ontology]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/321

Raised by: Luc Moreau
On product: Ontology

The ontology allows for instances of involvements to be expressed, without specifying its subclass (Usage, Generation, etc). This is not aligned with the data model.

The only way to prevent this would be to define Involvement as a union class, which is not allowed in OWL2-RL.  This would also prevent users from extending Involvement directly, they would have to extend one of the subclasses.  I am not sure if we want Involvement itself to be an extension point in the ontology.

Also, I would say that this is not aligned with the PROV-N notation in DM.  The DM only defines PROV-N constructs for classes that would be leaves in the concept hierarchy; this effectively means the PROV-N construct hierarchy is flat - which is not something we are looking to replicate in the ontology.

--Stephan