Re: Contextualization ---> Optional bundle in Specialization

Hi Graham,

If provenance had been written as below, we wouldn't need
contextualization for this rating example.  ex:Bob would be the
general entity, and tool:Bob-2011-11-16 and tool:Bob-2011-11-17 its
specializations, for each activity involvement on different days.

// MORE PROPER

    bundle ex:run1
         activity(ex:a1, 2011-11-16T16:00:00,2011-11-16T17:00:00)
    //duration: 1hour
         specializationOf(tool:Bob-2011-11-16, ex:Bob)

    wasAssociatedWith(ex:a1,*tool:Bob-2011-11-16*,[prov:role="controller"])
    endBundle

    bundle ex:run2
         activity(ex:a2, 2011-11-17T10:00:00,2011-11-17T17:00:00)
    //duration: 7hours
         specializationOf(tool:Bob-2011-11-17, ex:Bob)

    wasAssociatedWith(ex:a2,*tool:Bob-2011-11-16*,[prov:role="controller"])
    endBundle

It's because we allow identifiers to be reused, and we allow
provenance to be "messy", that the following is accepted in PROV.

// MORE SCRUFFY

    bundle ex:run1
         activity(ex:a1, 2011-11-16T16:00:00,2011-11-16T17:00:00)
    //duration: 1hour
         wasAssociatedWith(ex:a1,*ex:Bob*,[prov:role="controller"])
    endBundle

    bundle ex:run2
         activity(ex:a2, 2011-11-17T10:00:00,2011-11-17T17:00:00)
    //duration: 7hours
         wasAssociatedWith(ex:a2,*ex:Bob*,[prov:role="controller"])
    endBundle

If provenance is to be used online by applications to make decisions,
I don't understand what the problem is with the following

     specializationOf(tool:Bob-2011-11-16, ex:Bob, ex:run1) // or
contextualizationOf, or whatever name we want

given that it could have been written in the first place if provenance
had been more proper.

Your comment that tool:Bob-2011-11-16 cannot be distinguished from
tool:Bob-2011-11-17 would also
apply to the more proper example.

Regards,

Luc